Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Log Book ( Oct 08 )


Skydiving is not easy …

That is Johnny SkyDive's FAVOURITE saying and you know what - he is ever so right
( about that one ) 

I only just recently became "brave" enough to "break" at 4000 feet

This is apparently a requirement if I am going to do anything serious with my four way relative work

With my canopy - a Spectre 150 - after tracking - another skill I was not too proficient with until the last 25 jumps or so - that puts me in the saddle around 2000 feet (+ / - )

For me - that is pushing the limits

With no real room for error I must evaluate my deployment immediately or cut it away
I feel like I am living on the edge

Pretty exciting stuff for this 47 year old woman
But
…
That was until I compared it my friend Larry " Funnelmaster" Fojt

Larry is a REAL Skydiver

He is one of the ORIGINAL "Sport Parachutists" and listed in "Pioneers Of Sport Parachuting "

He started skydiving before I was even born Ok - maybe not THAT long - but pretty darn close

An ex military Special Ops member from 1962 thru 1968 there's no telling where he went and what he did during this period - and he won't discuss it either.

He was Halo qualified and rated before it was even an officially accepted part of the military program.

This guy knows his stuff.

Skydiving since 1960 Larry has watched the sport evolve from the early round military surplus gear he is so fond of thru the 70's and 80's whilst it rapidly transitioned into a safe main stream sport, jumping the elliptical designed wings of today and everything in between.

In describing those early days Larry often reminds me …
"Hell, it was trial and error, there were no rules - we made them up as we went along and simply tried to get back on the ground alive"

His LOVE for the sport is undying

Every weekend (health allowing) he is out at his home DZ Skydive Houston sharing his knowledge with "newbie's"

USPA Coach, IAD/Static Line instructor and PRO rated, Larry is always available to anyone wanting his assistance

Larry TRULY believes in giving back to this sport

Known for his attention to detail, chain smoking and pension for "pulling low" this guy most times isn't  going for the hackie until 1500 feet ( He say's 2000') and won't be found wearing a AAD or RSL.

"We didn't have them then and I don't want them now"

On fun jumps while the rest of us practice exits and dirt dive our jump Larry waits until 10,000 ft on the climb to altitude and says …
"Ok, this is what we're gonna do"

Old school for sure.

Quite simply - AMAZING - especially given the fact that at 66 - having beaten cancer TWICE - like the ENERGIZER BUNNY - he just keeps going!


No comments:

Post a Comment